Sunday, January 22, 2012

Simple Batik Project

While cleaning out my closet this weekend (something I have told my husband I would do when we got married two and a half years ago!) I found this fabric batik:


This is an example from a project I did a couple years ago with an adaptive art class I was teaching at school. While real batik uses hot wax, this one uses white school glue, making it great for younger kids. A piece of canvas fabric or other heavier white or off-white fabric would work best. All you do is draw a design on the fabric with the glue (I would use Elmer's Glue-All) and let it dry overnight. Wherever you put the glue is what will remain white in your design. Once the glue is dry you want to water down some acrylic craft paint and then paint in the design around the glue. Once the paint is dry you wash the glue off in hot water and you are left with the same effect as a wax batik.

This project is great for kids but can also be used to make a table runner or art for your walls. These would look great matted and framed and it is very inexpensive!

No comments:

Post a Comment